PuTTY CONNECTION MANAGER (PuttyCM):PuttyCM displays multiple PuTTY sessions in Tabs. In this article, let us review in detail about the 6 powerful features of the PuTTY Connection Manager that will make PuTTY more enjoyable.
Download PuttyCM: PuttyCM website seems to be down for a while. No problem you can still download from our repository download puttycm.exe that I’ve been using.
In order to make it run smoothly you need to set few settings as mentioned below.
Go to Tools -> Options -> Select the check-box “Enable additional timing for PuTTY capture (ms)” -> set the value to >=500 ms. This will open the PuTTY window inside the TAB as shown below.
In-order to use this feature we need to open dockable windows as specified in feature 2. Then you need to select on which servers you want to run single command just like show in the below figure.
- Download the AES encryption library (pcmcrypt.dll) from our repository.
- Place this file in the PuttyCM program folder. C:\Program Files\PuTTY Connection Manager
- Restart the PuttyCM
- Go to Tools menu -> Options -> Database -> under the Encryption section, the available algorithms should display “AES Rinjdael Managed” as shown below, indicating that the encryption library is successfully installed.
- Database Name: putty-secure-sessions
- Click on Enable database encryption check-box
- Select “AES Rinjdael Managed 256 bits”
- Enter a strong passphrase for the database.
- Click on ‘Create database’ to create the database as shown below.
- Click on File menu -> save database to save the database to a physical file.
- Now the ‘putty-secure-sessions’ database will be displayed under the Connection manager as shown below
- Right mouse-click on the ‘putty-secure-sessions’ database name -> Click on New -> Click on Connection, to create a new secure PuTTY session.
- Ability to select multiple themes
- Import and Export PuTTY sessions
- PuttyCM also comes as standalone executable that can be launched directly from an USB thumb drive
- And finally, PuTTY Connection Manager is a freeware
- Exporting Putty sessions fails with the error ‘Error during export Putty sessions’.
- Disabling ‘Show tray icon’ has issue. After restarting PuttyCM it shows ‘unexpected error occurred’ message when you try to create a new connection. PuttyCM does not work and you will have to enable ‘show tray icon’ to use PuttyCM.
- I have not found a way of changing the background color to something other than black. If any of you know solution to this please let me know.